Monday, August 19, 2013

Ceiling lamps and orange juice

Trenton's new adopted dog he named "Sophie"
 Some investigators Trenton grew to love in Linares



Hello everyone! How is everyone doing? Here in Yungay... well mom like you might of thought.. is a GHOSTTOWN. Hahahaha it is so small and basically all country. Basically before I got here, everyone told me that it would be a miracle if I had success here. I´ve always been the type to do all that I can to prove someone wrong. I´m glad I was told that because it makes me want to work all that much harder here in Yungay to show that it´s not the area you´re in, the time of year, but the attitude of the missionary. The very few members want a chapel here in Yungay more than anything. The church is in a small house with not much room. We need to get to 80 members here in Yungay, and they can have their chapel. It´s awesome because I see how bad they want it and almost feel bad they go to church in a house, so that also makes me want to work that much harder. By the way.. I live in an all wooden ¨house¨ (More like a hut) . Hahaha it is SOOOOOOOOOOO cold in the mornings it is unreal. Okay it´s not very funny but whatever. Also, the caliphone is broken so I have to boil hot water in the morning to shower. (Props to you Jonathan Neilson.) We went to church yesterday and I think besides the missionaries there were in between 25-30 people there. (The other 2 missionaries here in Yungay are sisters). Not too long ago, the missionaries did everything, but now there´s a branch president. The members have a hard time supporting him I´m not sure why. Maybe because all of his family are less actives.  Living in a house of 2 couldn´t be more boring but it´s whatever. Elder M and Elder B knew that I would be bored so they called me the other night just to talk. Haha Elder M is way funny. He was in Yungay before me about 6 months ago. He´s now training an elder that went to Olympus that knows Brett Crump and Jake and all them .Anyways my companion hasn´t been a member for very long. This is his 4th cambio here in Yungay.. his other companion was Elder W, a grandson of one of the 70. He was only here for 1 transfer so that´s kind of weird. More than likely I will be getting a new companion here in 5 weeks. One of my zone leaders is Elder P, who went to Lone Peak. When I went to Concepcion for the new missionary conference, I was his companion for a day. I don´t know if you remember that I mentioned that to you but he´s pretty cool. We have to travel an hour and a half on bus in order to go to our meetings every Tuesday.. we are literally in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Yungay. Also our hut is basicaly in the woods. We have to walk a little ways from the road and it´s in front of a river with trees and all sorts of stuff around the hut. We didn´t have anyone that we had been teaching in church yesterday, but 2 people showed up and we talked to them. They are the nieces of a member, and we went and visited them last night. They live in an area about 20 minutes away on bus but there weren´t any buses. The district leader made us travel there last night just to have them accept dates to be baptized. We tried to hitchhike for about 30 minutes and we were like okay this is the last car we´re going to try and if not we´ll just work by our house. Of course the car stopped us and gave us a ride! We found one of the girls (cousins) and she accepted a baptism date. It´s for September 14th, but we´re going to change it to the 7th. We actually found these 2 girls later on in the area book and Elder M had actually taught them a few times.Then on our way back, someone told us the bus wasn´t going to be there until 10:30 pm. We tried to hitchhike some more but found a taxi to Yungay so we took that. We are going to head back there tonight to teach the other cousin. Today there are buses to and from there so that should be a lot better haha. There´s a dog here in Yungay that I´m going to try and send a picture of that follows us EVERYWHERE we go. When we go into a house to teach, it waits outside for us. It somehow found it´s way to our house 2 nights ago, so I felt like I had to make a nice bed outside for her because it´s so cold. By the way, I named her Sophie.  The other day we went and did service for a member. She had a ton of garbage outside her house and we had to clean it all up. It was unreal.. basically from what I´ve figured out the past 5 years she has thrown every little garbage and old toy outside in a pile. We got there, and she told us that we had to go buy bags to put all the garbage in. Like are you being serious right now? We had enough money to buy 4 bags so we filled those. We´re nowhere close to finished but I think some more members are going to help us another day. There we dead rats everywhere too. I know part of the reason I am in South America is to remind me of how good we have it in the United States. Freak I´m so glad to be an American. Anyways there´s not a whole lot more to tell you guys.. Yungay is a ghost town but it´s all good. Congratulations to Justin and Laurie on the wedding.. I´m happy for them. I´m a little disappointed there wasn´t a cutout of me there but then again it probably wouldn´t have fit in the building if it was lifesize. People especially here in Yungay look at me like I´m a disgusting mutated elephant pig with blonde hair. I´m still waiting on the picture that Laurie has of me and DJ Teaskie at EFY. Me and the DJ were the life of EFY each year we went and you better believe that. Also congratz to my boy Teaskie for completing a year in the mission on the 22nd. That´s dope. I love and miss that kid so much but sounds like he´s doing work in Cali. I´m going to try and send some pictures of my favorite families I met in Linares.. so hopefully this computer will send a picture even though it´s older than an N64. Sorry for being random I´m in a weird mood right now. Anyways Brielle is so cute and I want to hold her more than anything. Thanks for all you do and I´ll talk to you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment